Monday, May 26, 2008

Dial up is ssslllloooowwwwww

As I enter my third week in site I thought I would do something rather then describe my week so I want to tell you about our cat and one of our dogs. Mulka is the cats name and when I first saw her (I think it is a her) I immediately assumed that she was a kitten with her size. But I am starting to think she might just be a small cat as she gets very little to eat. In fact I think her diet is made up of what she begs from the table. She has a rather erratic life as sometimes she is allowed feed from the table and other times she will shooed away with a foot. But Mulka always comes back for more. She weasels her way into the house when there is food around.

Her companion in crime is Laura, who is a male dog and is allowed to run free. I say this because our other two dogs are chained to something, Laura is the pet dog. Laura is not much bigger than Mulka and they play like they are little kids and best friends. Mulka will chew at Laura’s leg and Laura will chase Mulka not only in the garden but in and out of the house. That is until they are discovered running in and out and are shooed out. At first I was somewhat concerned for Mulka and the ruff housing but she seems to hold her own.

The reason I decided to write about Mulka and Laura was what I found this morning on my way to the outhouse. When I wake up in the morning I usually head to the outhouse to start my morning. This morning when I stepped out of the house there were Mulka and Laura. Mulka was curled up on top of Laura who was curled up on the ground. Since they are so close in size Mulka almost covered Laura up completely. As I noted, they are not regularly allowed in the house and especially not at night. It is warm enough these days that there is little concern for their safety. But Laura slept on the asphalt that is our yard and Mulka was sleeping on top of him like a blanket. They were not still there when I retuned from my mission.

I do have to comment on the fact that yesterday was wash day for me. I am not sure if I have mentioned this but we hand wash clothes around here. This means a couple of runs to the well down the road to replenish the water supply as you go as well as heating water. But it can become an all day event as according to the instructions on the box you are to let your clothes soak for two hours. Then you have to rinse them and attempt to wring them dry but they still drip on the line. I usually end up with two loads as mixing the lights and darks only makes the lights dark.

Once you have them on the line you have to shift them around as direct sun gets things dried faster. As I said I have not mastered wringing them out and the left-in water drips to the bottom of the hanging article. I have found that they dry faster if you keep turning them upside down. The darker stuff does dry faster as the sun hits them. I am sure this is much more than you ever wanted to know about washing clothes but I want you to appreciate your washing machines and treat them well.

1 comment:

Rob Lawrence said...

I feel your pain - I would expect that uploading a single photo take forever!