Thursday, September 6, 2007

We have moved north!


We have moved north to Mackinaw City where we are trading housing for work with the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association. We have become destruction experts as we are helping pull out the insides of a former restaurant that GLLKA will use as offices and gift shop.

Both Susan and I have heard from the Peace Corps on our medical stuff. I have been cleared medically but the letter is in Birmingham and I have not read it yet. Susan heard today that again they needed more material.

The recent returned Peace Corps mag had a piece or rather several pieces on their effort to attract more over 50 PC volunteers. One of the comments that they got from those older volunteers surveyed was the incredible need for medical material. It is one thing if you are twenty-something there are not too many things that you have experienced medically in your short life but us oldsters have more of a record that in most cases does not exist on paper any more. As I mentioned in my last blog entry I had to have two more tests. I am not sure if this had anything to do with my doc wanting to make perfectly sure that nothing would go wrong or what. Both Susan and I are starting to think there must be something wrong with us medically. But before this PC application we both thought we were in pretty good shape.

Tomorrow we head off to Orangeville, Ontario for awareness day with the Taoist Ti Chi folks. Then it is back to Birmingham as I have a board meeting. It is good we have some place else to go as we have put in some long days pulling off paneling and ripping off celling tile. There is not much left on our bodies that does not hurt!

I have a picture of the Mackinac Bridge at the top of this piece because for the first time on Labor Day, Susan, Jus and I walked the bridge. Something that is real Michigan but none of us had ever accomplished. It was a beautiful day. We started early with the Governor and some 5,000 other people at 7 AM. There were still folks walking at 4 PM. The estimates are well over 50,000 in total walking this year. Labor Day is the only day that anyone is allowed to walk over Big Mac.

No comments: